knit braided headband

I’ve seen a few of these in the stores lately, and I know you’re thinking that I’m thinking: “I could make that”. Well, yes you can, I tried it. It’s super easy.

Skills required:
Basic knitting – casting on, casting off, knit stitch, purl stitch. This pattern is done as a 2×2 rib knit.

What you need:

• Knitting needles (I used size 6US/4mm, but check what’s best for your yarn)
  • Yarn (about 150m) I used a silk/merino, but you can use whatever you like.
  • Tapestry needle
  • Crochet hook (just in case you drop a stitch)
  • Stitch holder (a scrap piece of yarn will also work)
  • A few pins
  • Scissors

Pattern:
Cast on 12 stitches.
Row 1: K3, P2, K2, P2, K3
Row 2: P3, K2, P2, K2, P3
Repeat these 2 rows until your piece measures about 25″.

Check out this project on my Ravelry page: click me

If you’re new to knitting this really easy, but if you have a question leave a comment.

Continue knitting until the piece is about 25” long and move it onto the stitch holder. Do the same with the next 3, moving all onto the same stitch holder, make sure you leave a long tail for each one .

Now that you have all 3 completed, braid them up just to check that the length is ok (do this before you cast off all your stitches just in case it’s too tight or too big). Once you’re satisfied that they are the right length for your head move one piece back onto your needles and cast it off, do this with all 3.  Leave a 7 inch tail on each one. Now braid them together, and pin the ends together to make it a continuous loop. If you can work it out that the braid works perfectly all the way around when you pin the ends together, that’s great, if not don’t sweat it… there’s usually one part that goes under where it should go ever. Now that you’re happy the way it’s pinned, you’ve tried it on and it fits your head, you can sew the end up using the big tapestry needle and the tail you kept on each one.

And that’s it. You’re all done.

See who else is making this:

14 comments
  1. rose said:

Thank you so much for this free pattern, I love it and will be making it for myself 🙂 hugs, rose

• jayna said:

You’re very welcome! enjoy!

2. Sydney said:

I’m going to give this a try because it’s beautiful! and simple! and 5 days before Christmas! Thank you for sharing. Happy Holidays-Sydney

3. Cait! said:

Thought I struggled to connect the ends of the braids, I made this for a friend and it look too too fabulous! Thanks for the great looking and (mostly) easy pattern!

4. Bobonne said:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I went away with it immediately, finishing the whole thing in one day.
    I even managed to line the headband the next day with some supersoft fleece… My ears have never been cosier 🙂

5. sue said:

Thank you for this pattern. The yarn you used makes it look so soft and pretty!

6. Karen Rudrud said:

What ply yarn did you use?

• jayna said:

I used Aran / 10 ply (8 wpi) but you could use anything you like a add more or less stitches.

Enjoy!

7. crgarvey said:

did you use a circle needle or normal size 6 needles?

• jayna said:

I used circular needles, but did not do this in the round. You can use straight needles too. My reason for the circular needles is that they are really short which is good for this, and the stitches have nowhere to slip off.

8. icajess said:

So you are making 3 separate strips of the pattern, braiding them together, and then connecting them at the end? What are the pins that you used to connect them? I don’t see any in the picture and I am unsure about what that means. Thanks!

• jayna said:

That’s right. You’re making 3 strips, braiding them, and then connecting them together at the ends. They are just regular straight pins you would use for sewing. You could also use safety pins. Whatever you have around or what works for you!

• icajess said: